Insurers, Hospitals Promise To Lower Medical Cost Strain For Boston Marathon Bombing Victims
Health insurers and hospitals in Boston said this week that they will scale back the cost of medical care for those affected by the Boston Marathon bombing. In the meantime, donations for their medical costs from one campaign have topped $1.8 million.
Boston Globe: State's Providers, Hospitals to Ease Medical Expenses
The largest health insurers in Massachusetts said they will ease the strain of medical costs for those injured in the Marathon bombing by waiving out-of-pocket fees, while three Boston hospitals promised to hold off mailing bills to those patients. Donations have poured in to the One Fund launched last week by the city and the state to help those most affected by the April 15 attack, and to funds created by patients’ friends and families to offset treatment costs. But many who were seriously injured, including at least 14 who had limbs amputated, could require expensive medical and rehabilitative care for months to come (Conaboy and Lazar, 4/24).
Fox News: Online Donations Pour In For Boston Victims’ Medical Costs
While victims of the Boston Marathon bombings have a long recovery ahead of them, many will receive financial help thanks to viral online fundraising campaigns started by friends and family. Popular fundraising site GoFundMe.com has amassed more than $1.8 million in donations over the past seven days, as strangers, corporations and even celebrities donate to funds set up for individual victims and share the links over their social networks (Woerner, 4/23).