AIDS Charities See Decline in Giving in Wake of Sept. 11 Attacks
Charities that focus on HIV/AIDS and other issues are "going begging" in the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, as many donors decide to focus their giving efforts on relief funds to aid victims of the attack, the Wall Street Journal reports. Nearly $1 billion has "flood[ed]" into the more than 100 funds created to aid victims of the Sept. 11 attacks, but AIDS groups and other charities say that they are experiencing a decline in giving (Chaker/Bank, Wall Street Journal, 10/8). Among the charities feeling the pinch:
- AIDS Walk Washington: The 15th annual AIDS Walk in Washington, D.C., took place on Saturday. Approximately 3,500 people walked to raise money for the Whitman-Walker Clinic, the primary provider of HIV/AIDS services in the District. However, the turnout was "much smaller" than the 20,000 walkers the event has seen in recent years, and the clinic raised less than $500,000 this year, compared to the $1 million it collected last year. Michael Cover, director of communications for the Whitman-Walker Clinic, said, "With all the focus of giving to the relief effort after Sept. 11, we're being forgotten. A lot of other charities are feeling that pinch right now too" (Dvorak, Washington Post, 10/7).
- Gay Men's Health Crisis: The New York City-based group has seen its direct mail revenue drop as much as 40% since Sept. 11 and plans to make budget cuts to "get through the rest of the year." Ronald Johnson, associate executive director of the group, said, "We don't want to take away from the relief efforts, but we hope people also realize that the ongoing needs of people are still here."
- Bailey-Holt House: The Bailey-Holt House, which provides housing for homeless people with AIDS in Manhattan, is "bracing for a funding drought," the Wall Street Journal reports. Two corporations had "tentatively" promised donations for the house, but executives from the companies have said that they are "re-evaluating their priorities because of the disaster." Bailey-Holt House Executive Director Regina Quattrochi said, "We expect it's going to be a disaster this year" (Wall Street Journal, 10/8).